Join the region’s largest conservation organization and help us to save open space, steward natural habitats, and connect people to nature. For the past 60-plus years, the mission of Natural Lands Trust (NLT) has been to protect the forests, fields, wetlands, and streams that are essential to the sustainability and quality of life in eastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Today, more than 2.5 million people – 60% of the population of southeastern PA – lives within 5 miles of lands under our protection.
The Director of Membership oversees all activity related to membership and annual gift fundraising (including new member acquisition, membership renewals, and annual appeals); gift acknowledgement and recognition; and donor stewardship. As an integral member of the Natural Lands Trust development team, the position also includes important assignments associated with broader departmental and organizational priorities.
General Program Management
- Engages and collaborates with colleagues throughout the organization to meet strategic and annual work plan goals for membership and annual gift fundraising and programming.
- Develops and implements membership and annual gift strategies for supporters up to the $1,000 level—including acquisition, renewal, upgrade, acknowledgement, fulfillment, recognition, and stewardship.
- Works with Donor Services Coordinator to ensure that all gift and membership processing systems are efficient and effective. Provides data entry assistance when backlog necessitates.
Membership and Annual Gift Fundraising
- Develops cases of support for membership and annual giving that are consistent with all strategic plan and other organizational case-making objectives.
- Generates all membership renewal and annual giving appeals; cultivates members to move up the giving ladder; and integrates efforts with major donor cultivation.
- Establishes individual membership campaign benchmarks to meet strategic goals (including doubling membership to 5,000 households during the 2015-18 Strategic Plan period).
- Devises and launches multi-channel strategies and appeals to advance organizational priorities associated with converting preserve visitors and event participants to Natural Lands Trust supporters.
- Coordinates relationships with direct mail consultants to help build Natural Lands Trust’s base of support through new member acquisition.
- Designs and implements a membership fundraising strategy specific to Stoneleigh: A Natural Garden—a new and unique Natural Lands Trust property that will open to the public in the Spring of 2018.
- Oversees and implements matching gift and gift membership activities.
- Develops and tracks the revenue and expense budgets required to implement membership acquisition and retention plans.
- Utilizes available data to forecast and track appeal results, membership trends, and solicitation tactics. Reviews membership campaign progress and results analysis with Vice President of Development on a regular basis.
Donor Relationship Management and Advancement
- Acts as primary relationship manager for members and annual donors whose combined annual support is less than $1,000.
- Composes and regularly updates acknowledgement letters for membership, monthly giving, matching gifts, gift memberships, and additional gifts as needed.
- Supports the President and the Vice President of Development in composing solicitations, gift acknowledgments, and other correspondence for donors whose combined annual support is more than $1,000.
- Working closely with the Vice President of Development, manages President’s Council relationships – including providing administration for bi-annual meetings and oversight of communications throughout the year.
- Coordinates with colleagues in the Communications and Engagement Department to develop member events and cultivation programs.
- Responds to individual customer service issues related to membership marketing and membership benefits.
- Manages and maintains records for Natural Lands Trust members and prospects; coordinates the annual donor listing process.
- Coordinates with the Communications and Engagement Department to leverage publications, e-newsletters, social media, and other communications in support of membership and annual gift goals.
- Keeps current on direct marketing and membership marketing trends by attending professional meetings, reading, and networking.
- Assists Development Department colleagues with donor cultivation events, annual large-scale fundraising events, and leadership meetings.
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.