Director of Events
Founded in 1893, SNAME is the leading international organization of ocean and maritime professionals. With more than 6,500 members in 100+ countries, SNAME members are found in all facets of the industry and lifecycles of a vessel or waterborne assets.
SNAME is dedicated to advancing the art, science, and practice of naval architecture, marine and ocean engineering, and the supporting maritime industries. We connect a global audience with cutting-edge technical information, drive professional development, and empower the industry.
We are committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high-performing culture with talented and dedicated co-workers in support of the outstanding work of our members.
Equal Employment Opportunity
SNAME is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Qualified candidates should email their resume or CV to Jlane@sname.org with a writing sample.
The Director of Events is a pivotal role for SNAME, working closely with staff and key stakeholders to conceptualize, plan, and execute a variety of new and existing events at a local and international level. The ideal candidate is energetic, forward-thinking, creative, and detailed oriented. This position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced professional with a can-do attitude who works thoughtfully and efficiently on several projects at one time, is results-oriented, has strong time management skills, and works enthusiastically across every project. This Director of Events will partner closely with marketing, communications, membership, and other departments to ensure every event is managed professionally and on budget.
- Organize and execute a wide range of special events and meetings including trade shows, section events and symposia, multi-day conferences, and leadership trainings
- Identify new event opportunities, topics, and markets
- Oversee all aspects of the production of events including agenda development, venue selection, contract negotiations, booking talent, data management, catering, hotel accommodations, staffing coordination, and on-site event logistics
- Lead development of event strategy and preparation timelines, and ensure proper communication with all staff involved regarding event goals, responsibilities and shifting priorities
- Work closely and professionally with key stakeholders, including organization leadership and committees, to ensure all event objectives are clearly understood and executed accordingly
- Maintain exemplary relationships with external vendors and identifying appropriate new business relationships, championing the most productive partnerships for the organization
- Negotiating vendor contracts within strict budgetary parameters, tracking financial benefits resulting from negotiations
- Create, track and manage event budgets closely, producing timely post-event budgeting reports
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to execute events including membership, T&R, marketing and communications, accounting, and others as appropriate
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously with precision and attention to detail while continually finding ways to improve processes to produce higher quality and more effective results
- Identify opportunities for process and event management improvements and develop new policies regarding implementing new procedures
- Play an integral role in setting organization priorities, project timelines and provide feedback for ensuring highest quality of event production