The Assistant Director of Athletic Development will serve as a gift officer for Northern Kentucky University’s intercollegiate athletics program. Develop and implement a vital and comprehensive fund raising program with the primary purpose of generating community, corporate, and alumni support as well as private funding for the identified priorities of the athletic department and the University in association with the Director of Development-Athletics. Responsibilities include prospect identification, planning and solicitation of annual and capital campaign gifts up to $10,000, and stewardship of endowed scholarship donors. Position will also be responsible for the coordination and planning of annual fundraising events (i.e. Go Norse Fund Golf Outing, Athletics Gala, etc). Additionally help manage the volunteers associated with the Go Norse Fund Board of Directors.
Compliance with NCAA rules is of the utmost importance at Northern Kentucky University. As a member of the athletics department staff, it is expected that the Assistant Director of Development will have a full understanding of the NCAA rules that pertain to the position. It is also expected that the Assistant Director of Development will comply with all NCAA rules and if he/she becomes aware, or have reasonable cause to believe, that a violation of a rule has occurred he/she will immediately report it to the Director of Athletics or his/her designee.
1. Assist in the coordination of capital and annual campaign fund raising efforts from planning through implementation.
2. Direct all aspects of the Go Norse Fund annual giving program, including annual fund renewals, annual fund benefit disbursements, annual fund solicitations and communications, and oversight of the Go Norse Fund Priority Points system.
3. Assist in directing all cultivation, stewardship and solicitation strategies for private support from donors and prospects. Engage in personal solicitation of annual, planned, special, and major gifts for athletic department priorities as well as other campus initiatives when appropriate. Manage a portfolio of approximately 175 donors, consisting of annual fund and major gift donors, with planned solicitations of up to $10,000 or greater. Conduct 180 face-to-face visits per year, including identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship visits.
4. Direct and coordinate annual fundraising events, designed to generate revenue for NKU Athletics on an annual basis as part of annual fundraising initiatives (i.e. Go Norse Fund Golf Outing, “Night with the Norse” Gala, sport specific alumni events, etc).
5. Establish and maintain effective and cooperative relationships with members of the University Development staff. Work closely with development, advancement services and alumni staffs in all matters pertaining to athletic department development activities and priorities.
6. Assist in developing annual athletics fund raising goals, objectives and athletic department private fund raising priorities in cooperation with the Director of Athletics and Director of Development-Athletics. Design and implement strategies to achieve the identified goals and objectives.
7. Identify, research, and write individualized proposals or grants for solicitation and stewardship activities regarding gift donors for annual, capital, and endowment gifts for the athletics programs in coordination with the Director of Development-Athletics and the University Development staff.
8. Attending University Development and major gift meetings to share relevant information and gather information related to other fundraising priorities on campus.
9. Assist in special usage of luxury suites on a game-by-game basis.
10. Assist with the GO NORSE FUND Board of Directors.
11. Expected to successfully collaborate with a number of on-campus entities working on behalf of athletics (i.e. Marketing/Communications, Printing Services, Advancement Services, Alumni Association, Procurement Services, etc.)
12. Be familiar with the Raiser’s Edge fundraising software and help maintain Go Norse Fund and athletic donor database and records.
13. Assist with budget management and recommendations as well as monitor expenses accordingly.
14. Coordinate the forwarding of checks and cash to the University Development office for accurate reporting of all financial records.
15. Update Raiser’s Edge software on a consistent and timely basis regarding activities related to donor interaction.
16. Provide a positive and professional presence in the community.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and two or more years of related experience; Master’s degree preferred.
Experience in directing a successful annual fund program.
Demonstrated record of successful gift solicitation.
A working knowledge of Microsoft Windows application is required and knowledge of Raiser’s Edge is a plus.
Any candidate who is offered this position will be required to go through a pre-employment criminal background check as mandated by state law.
About Northern Kentucky University
Northern Kentucky University is a growing metropolitan university of approximately 15,000 students served by more than 2,000 faculty and staff on a thriving suburban campus near Cincinnati. Located in the quiet suburb of Highland Heights, Kentucky, just seven miles southeast of Cincinnati, NKU has become a leader in the Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky region by providing a private school education for a fraction of the cost. While we are one of the fastest growing universities in Kentucky, our professors still know our students’ names. In fall 2011, we celebrated the construction and opening of the $52.8 million and 110,000-square-foot Griffin Hall, home of NKU’s College of Informatics. In 2008, we opened our $37 million, 144,000-square-foot student union building, as well as the BB&T Arena, a $60 million, 9,400-seat arena for basketball games and other events.
The 2016-17 academic year marked the first season NKU was eligible for participation in NCAA Championships after reclassifying to Division I. The Norse qualified for the NCAA Women's Soccer Championship and NCAA Men's Basketball Championship in 2016-17. The Men's Basketball team won the 2017-18 regular season H...orizon League Championship and participated in the post-season NIT. The Men's Basketball team won the 2018-19 regular season Horizon League Championship and participated in the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship.