This position is responsible for assisting all phases of the very successful women’s swimming and diving program as it relates to the mission of Duquesne University Department of Athletics. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to coaching, recruiting, budgeting, team travel, and providing a positive collegiate experience for student-athletes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Displays an unyielding commitment to honesty and integrity, as well as to compliance with NCAA, Atlantic-10 and Duquesne University regulations.
2. Demonstrates a commitment to assisting student-athletes achieve academic success by creating a positive educational environment that also promotes personal growth for student-athletes.
3. Supports the head coach in the development of a sports program that challenges student-athletes to improve and succeed individually and as a team effectively within the structure of the Athletic Department.
4. Provides student-athletes with appropriate on deck coaching by imparting knowledge of the sport and skill instruction.
5. Effectively recruits student-athletes that can be successful within the program and the university’s academic standards.
6. Manages alumni relations and organize community service events for the program.
7. Assists in maintaining Tower Pool, manage and schedule lifeguards, assist in pool scheduling.
8. Models positive behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards students, officials, and spectators.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
-Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
-Demonstrated expertise in coaching women’s swimming.
-Lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid, and USA Swimming Certified Coach certifications.
Master’s degree from an accredited institution.
Certified Pool Operator License.
Previous coaching experience at the collegiate level.
Alternately, the successful candidate will possess any equivalent combination or training and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the essential job functions. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
-Throrough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
-Ability to lead and motivate student-athletes.
-Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
-Strong understanding of all aspects of social media.
-Familiarity with and ability to use Hy-Tek Meet and Swim Management software.
-Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the University Community.
-Sensitivity to the need of each individual to be treated with dignity and respect as it relates to diversity in general and the Mission of the University specifically.
-Ability and willingness to contribute actively to the mission and to respect the Spiritan Catholic identity of Duquesne University. The mission is implemented through a commitment to academic excellence, a spirit of service, moral and spiritual values, sensitivity to world concerns, and an ecumenical campus community.
About Duquesne University
Duquesne University is a private, coeducational university located on a bluff above downtown Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1878 as a Catholic college by the Order of the Holy Spirit, Duquesne is the largest and most comprehensive Catholic university in Pennsylvania, and the only Spiritan institution of higher education in the world. Duquesne is consistently ranked among America's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and a tradition of academic excellence. A coeducational university on a self-contained campus with dramatic views of Pittsburgh's skyline and rivers, the university has students representing nearly every state in the union and 80 nations. Duquesne has a 14:1 student/faculty ratio, and 87 percent of incoming freshman are drawn from the top half of their high school class. Duquesne offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in natural and environmental sciences, leadership, business, nursing, health sciences, pharmacy, law, education, music, and the liberal arts. Duquesne University offers 6 men’s and 11 women’s varsity sports, including NCAA Division I Basketball, (Atlantic 10 Conference), and Division I-FCS football (Northeast Conference). Learn more about our athletics programs at GoDuquesne.com.