· Manages the entire range of accounting activities to ensure compliance with GAAP, timely monthly financial statement closings.
· Directs implementation of strong internal controls throughout all of WASA’s financial processes and systems to ensure strong audit results.
· Provides overall direction for accounts payable activities to ensure prompt payment (30 days) of all invoices.
· Provides overall direction for payroll systems and processing to ensure accurate pay, timely management reporting and legal compliance (IRS, etc).
· Provides overall direction for grants and wholesale customer billing to ensure accurate billings, maximize cost recovery under the contract and grant terms.
· Provides overall direction for billing for special services, developers, etc.
· Regularly reports to BOD on state of accounts operations, system development, and internal control issues.
· Directs implementation and changes to all of DC Water’s financial systems, including general ledger, payroll, A/P, procurement, inventory, bills, fixed assets, etc.
· Performs other duties and projects as assigned at the discretion of the Chief Financial Officer.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Provides daily planning and administration in the selection, assignment, supervision, promotion, discipline, and training of personnel within the unit. Manages and evaluates the progress of the Controller’s office towards meeting goals and makes adjustments in objectives, work plans, schedules and commitment of resources.
Key Working Relationships: Interacts with co-workers in the Office and throughout the Authority, Board members; and represents the Authority to outside constituents, including U.S. Congress, jurisdictional users, EPA, large commercial and governmental customers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or related field and ten years of experience in accounting/finance including five years of managerial experience. Strong analytical skills, and planning and organizational skills; Thorough understanding of financial modeling and generally accepted accounting principles; Strong skills in communicating orally and in writing, especially with executive and Board level positions; Strong leadership and interpersonal skills; and utilizes personal computer and maintains working knowledge of applicable software programs (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, emails, etc.)
Internal Number: 19-FAB-2410-002
About DC Water and Sewer Authority
DC Water's service area is approximately 725 square miles. DC Water provides retail water and wastewater (sewer) service to the District of Columbia.DC Water provides wholesale wastewater treatment service to Montgomery and Prince George's counties in Maryland and Fairfax and Loudoun counties in Virginia.
DC Water provides more than 640,000 residents, 17.8 million annual visitors, and 700,000 people who are employed in the District of Columbia with water and sewer/wastewater treatment.Blue Plains treats wastewater from jurisdictions in Maryland and Virginia for an additional 1.6 million people. Covering 150 acres on the bank of the Potomac River at the southernmost tip of the District, Blue Plains is the largest advanced wastewater treatment facility in the world.