Academic Advisor and Compliance Coordinator TMP03258PO19
Academic Advisor and Compliance Coordinator provides comprehensive academic support for student-athletes on selected teams under the direction of the Student Success Center, while also assisting with the day-to-day operations of the Athletic Compliance Office.
- In the Academic Advisor for Student-Athletes role: Provides monitoring and academic support for at-risk student-athletes (weekly meetings, maintaining thorough documentation, progress checks with faculty, coaches’ updates, securing tutors, etc.).
- Coordinates study hall for new student-athletes and continuing student-athletes who do not meet specified academic requirements.
- Assists with registration issues specific to student-athletes, such as priority registration, authorizing drop/add, assisting with course conflicts due to athletics competition, etc.
- Coordinates mid-semester faculty academic progress reports and keeps coaches informed of student-athletes’ academic progress and processes all travel letters for student-athletes to be submitted to faculty members.
- Assists in the academic advising load of undeclared student-athletes (in cooperation with the Student Success Center).
- In the Compliance Coordinator role: Provides interpretations and analysis of NCAA rules to coaches, staff, student-athletes, and external constituents/supporters.
- Assists with the administration of a comprehensive rules education program for all coaches, staff, student-athletes, and external constituents/supporters.
- Assists with the monitoring of institutional compliance with NCAA, Big South, and University rules and regulations and prepares violation reports where applicable.
- Assists with the preparation of Waivers and Appeals of NCAA legislation.
- Monitors the admission and NCAA eligibility status of incoming student-athletes (in cooperation with the Student Success Center) and works closely with the Compliance Office and F.A.R. regarding eligibility issues and related interventions.
- Assists in compilation and submission of various reports (e.g., Graduation Success Rate, Academic Progress Rate, Equity in Athletics Data Analysis).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
Bachelor’s degree and 1 year related experience. Valid driver’s license, good driving record and successful background check are required.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree or higher and 2 years of related experience.
Experience in Division I athletic academic support services and/or athletic compliance. Strong computer and interpersonal skills are highly desirable.
Additional Salary Information: Temporary status but ongoing in nature; Affordable Health Care Insurance and retirement plan participation eligible.
Internal Number: TMP03258PO19
About University of South Carolina Upstate
The University of South Carolina Upstate is a positive, diverse, and empowering institution for motivated, success-minded students who want to be challenged academically, supported personally, and pushed to the boundaries of their potential in an opportunity-rich environment.
From its founding in 1967, the University has bound its fortunes to one of the fastest growing regions in the nation, the I-85 corridor connecting Atlanta and Charlotte. Much of what sets USC Upstate apart is its position in one of the most dynamic, opportunity-rich locations in the South. Home to more than one million people and boasting the highest per capita international investment of any county in the nation, the Upstate region provides boundless academic, professional, and cultural outlets for students to develop skills and establish meaningful connections.
Comprised of a diverse and dynamic community of approximately 6,000 students from 26 states and 17 countries, USC Upstate is a wonderful blend of traditional and nontraditional students who reflect the Upstate’s rich international character. USC Upstate offers a balance of strengths that, when added up, results in a learning experience that’s ha...rd to match. The academic programs are accredited and highly ranked, with amazing research and internship opportunities for students.
USC Upstate is committed to fulfilling regional and state workforce needs and thus the university is a major engine of social and economic development. The university offers more than 40 bachelor’s degree programs in the liberal arts and sciences, business administration, nursing, and teacher education, and master’s degrees in education, informatics, and nursing. These are degrees that help students to transition easily to careers in the Upstate region.
By continually adding new academic programs that prepare graduates to take leadership roles in companies and in their communities, USC Upstate is helping the region to prosper. The faculty and staff are dedicated to maintaining high academic standards and to student success. Their commitment to transforming the lives of students who are usually the first ones in their families to seek higher education shines through in every interaction at USC Upstate.
Regional, comprehensive universities are marked by their commitment and contributions to the region and their service and engagement with the community. There is an impressive spirit of service at USC Upstate that allows students, under the direction of a faculty member, to apply what they have learned in the classrooms and laboratories on some of the challenges facing our communities. In one year alone the students volunteered more than 18,000 hours to serving others in a number of ways.
Substance and beauty is a powerful combination and it perfectly describes the USC Upstate campus in Spartanburg, SC where the most modern and cutting-edge learning facilities, technology, and resources are offered within a pristine, 330-acre campus that features rolling hills, creeks, groves of trees, and beautiful green space. The spirit of competition permeates the campus with the USC Upstate Spartans competing on the NCAA Division I level as a member of the Atlantic Sun Conference. The Spartans field 17 varsity sports: basketball, soccer, tennis, golf, cross country, and track and field for both women and men; baseball for men; and softball and volleyball for women.
Nearly 30,000 students have earned their degrees from USC Upstate and are now representing the University as alumni. Nearly 85 percent of the alumni choose to remain in the Upstate to build their lives and careers, making a significant impact on the region’s economy and quality of life.
Now in its 50th year, the University continues to be recognized nationally among its peer institutions for its excellence in education and commitment to its students, for its involvement in the Upstate, for its operational and managerial effectiveness, for its civility and common purpose and for the clarity and integrity of its mission. U.S. News & World Report recently recognized USC Upstate as #2 Top Public Regional Colleges in the South and #3 lowest student debt upon graduation in Sothern Region: only school ranked in S.C.
USC Upstate has enjoyed working with the Spartanburg community for the past 50 years and is looking forward to enriching the Spartanburg community in partnerships for the next 50 years and beyond. Together, we will create a future that is enriching, engaged and healthy. The University’s reputation as a leader in education for the entire Upstate region is one that gets stronger each day.
Spartanburg, South Carolina
The City of Spartanburg is the seat of Spartanburg County. It has a population of nearly 40,000 with the metropolitan area reaching nearly 289,000 residents.
A major center for higher education, Spartanburg has seven colleges and universities that have a collective enrollment of approximately 15,000 students. The institutions are a major economic driver for the city and larger region, and a number of partnerships between the schools and businesses are creating significant strategic advantages in workforce training, research, and economic development.
Known for its natural beauty, Spartanburg offers a high quality of life and friendly people. Shopping, dining, activities, historical sites, and cultural arts are available. The city is home to a diverse array of international companies, including BMW’s only North American plant.
The mild climate, with four distinct seasons, allows for outdoor activities year-round. The area has lakes, rivers, parks, preserves, arboretums, and trails waiting to be explored.
Situated at the junction of I-85 and I-26, Spartanburg is easily accessible to both the mountains and the beaches. The city is 75 miles from Charlotte, North Carolina, and 93 miles to Columbia, South Carolina.