This is a full-time, 12-month position. Assist and support the development of an infrastructure for recruitment and retention plan directed at solidifying a solid roster of quality student-athletes. Assist with the cultivation of a recruiting plan to support the University's Strategic Plan as directed by the head coach. The assistant coach has considerable secondary responsibility in successfully developing a solid roster of quality students that will represent the University in a positive way in the community; at the same time supporting and encouraging a community outreach attitude in advancing of the University Strategic Plan. Candidates must be able to organize and handle all aspects of administration and adhere to the rules and regulations of Sacred Heart University, the Northeast Conference (NEC), and the NCAA.
- Assist and support in the promotion or the educational values of athletics consistent with the educational values of the University as outlined and promulgated in the University and Athletic Department Mission Statement.
- Assist with the design, implementation and evaluation of a recruiting and retention program directed at developing a competitive Division 1 intercollegiate program.
- Supports the head coach in ensuring the program is following the rules/regulations of the NCAA.
- Assist the head coach in organizing, preparing, and conducting individual and team practice, facility set-up, and competition management.
- Monitors the eligibility status of team members in cooperation with Athletic Compliance Office and Student-Athlete Academic Support Services Office.
- Assist the head coach in administrative and office duties including but not limited to managing/organizing team travel arrangements, recruitment data entry, practice and competition log entry, and fundraising.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, computer skills and excel knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Should be experienced in using SportsCode/Gamebreaker/Frontrush and video analysis.
- Have knowledge or previous experiences with organizing and planning fund raising efforts.
- Help run and coordinate clinics, camps and alumni events.
- Should demonstrates a high level of professionalism and ethical behavior.
- Strong communication skills are required and Division 1 collegiate playing or coaching experience is preferred.
- Participation in team and department functions, events, and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
Experience coaching or playing at the International or Olympic level
2 to 4 years of intercollegiate coaching experience and/or international playing experience
Expertise in technical aspects of the sport
CPR/AED and First Aid Certification Preferred
About Sacred Heart University
Sacred Heart University, the second-largest independent Catholic university in New England, offers more than 80 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs on its main campus in Fairfield, Conn., located less than 60 miles from Manhattan and approximately 150 miles from Boston. With its five miles of shoreline, marinas, parks, open space and plenty of shopping and fine dining, Fairfield is consistently recognized as a top community in the Northeast in which to live. In 2018 the town earned an A+ in a 'report card' by Niche on "Best Places to Live" in Connecticut. Sacred Heart also has satellites in Connecticut, Luxembourg and Ireland. It comprises more than 300 acres of land, including an 18-hole golf course and the former global headquarters of General Electric. Rooted in the 2000-year-old Catholic intellectual tradition and the liberal arts, Sacred Heart embraces a vision for social justice and educates students in mind, body and spirit to prepare them personally and professionally to make a difference in the global community. More than 8,500 students attend the University's six colleges: Arts & Sciences; Health Professions; Nursing; the Jack Welch College of Busin...ess; the Isabelle Farrington College of Education; and St. Vincent's College. Consistently recognized for excellence, The Princeton Review includes SHU in its guides, Best 382 Colleges-2018 Edition, "Best in the Northeast" and Best 267 Business Schools-2018 Edition. It also placed SHU on its lists for "Best College Theater" and "Most Engaged in Community Service," each of which comprises only 20 U.S. schools. U.S.News & World Report ranks SHU in its Best Colleges 2018 guidebook and calls SHU the fourth "Most Innovative School" in the North. The Chronicle of Higher Education also names SHU one of the fastest-growing Roman Catholic universities in its 2016 almanac. .