Assist with the development, coordination, and administration of a comprehensive sports medicine program for the assigned sports as per the director of sports medicine. Perform a variety of duties in regards to injury prevention, treatment, and management for injuries and post-injury rehabilitation and refer to team physician and medical consultants if necessary. The position will attend practice, training sessions, and travel with assigned sports to provide medical care as needed. This position will also perform administrative duties as assigned per the director of sports medicine.
As a healthcare provider, this position requires making immediate and long-term problem-solving decisions that impact the student-athletes, the sports medicine program, and the athletic department overall. Immediate decision making would include handling of emergency injury/illness situations of student-athletes. Must interface and work with other units in the department to solve problems; i.e. coaches, compliance, academics, for the department’s benefit. Daily and long-term decisions/planning must be made regarding student-athletes treatment, rehabilitation, and referral. The position will require making decisions that will affect the team performance and the overall effectiveness of the assigned sport(s) programs. The position must work with other staff members within the assigned sports and athletic department to help solve problems that will affect the student-athletes.
May be assigned supervisory responsibilities by the Director of Sports Medicine over graduate assistants, temporary workers, and student workers.
The job requires one to be able to multi-task, handle emergencies, plan treatment/rehab exercise programs, use the computer to enter injury data, instruct as well as supervise graduate athletic trainers, communicate medical information to the team physicians and medical consultants, and contribute to the policies and procedures of the sports medicine program.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide a comprehensive sports medical program for the assigned sports as per the director of sports medicine by attending practices, competitions, training sessions, and travel as required.
- Perform duties of student-athlete injury management, acute management, treatment, rehabilitation, and prevention.
- Serve as a liaison between the department and medical personnel, sports dieticians, coaches, parents, and student-athletes. Oversee the scheduling and follow-up visits of athletes to physician visits, diagnostic tests such as x-rays, MRIs, bone scans, laboratory tests, etc…
- Document all evaluations, treatments, rehabilitation, and medical provider visits in the sports medicine documentation software.
- Administer the insurance programs for the varsity athletes, including but not limited to; obtaining the most practical policy to provide the necessary coverage within the established guidelines; advising athletes and their parents or guardians regarding insurance policies and procedures; assisting athletes in filing claims.
- Perform administrative duties as it relates to athletic training and the athletic department as assigned by the Director of Sports Medicine which may include supervising graduate athletic trainers.
- Prepare daily reports monitoring types of injuries, treatments, comment on the plan of action, and submit to the coaching staff.
- Coordinate with the team physicians and assist in the administration of pre-competition annual physical exams for athletes prior to their first day of practice.
Bachelor’s degree in athletic training or a related field and two years of experience as a Certified Athletic Trainer.
Current Indiana State Athletic Training license, or be eligible for.
CPR/First Aid certified.
Ability to meet the continuing education minimum standards of the National Athletic Trainers Association. Ability to effectively communicate and exchange information.
About IUPUI - Indiana Univ. Purdue Univ. Indianapolis
IUPUI is located in downtown Indianapolis, IN. As Indiana’s premier urban public research university, IUPUI believes in the power of transformation. We are committed to providing educational opportunities that transform the lives of our students, our community, and the changing world around us. It was this commitment that was behind the merger of the Indianapolis campuses and programs of Indiana University and Purdue University—some of which are more than 100 years old—that won accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission in 1969, creating IUPUI. We’re now Indiana’s premier urban research university offering more than 200-degree programs from both Indiana University and Purdue University. IUPUI Athletics is a Division I member of the NCAA and The Horizon League striving to recruit, retain, and graduate champions. For more information, visit our website: iupui.edu