Virginia Military Institute (VMI), an NCAA Division I and Southern Conference (SOCON) member, is seeking candidates for the position of Director of Sports Performance for Olympic Sports. This is a coaching position in the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics. The selected candidate will report to the Director of Intercollegiate Athletics or his/her designee, with a dotted line to the Director of Strength & Conditioning/Head Football Strength Coach. This position is responsible for development of strength and conditioning programs for the Basketball team and the Olympic Sports within the department. Supervisory responsibilities may include volunteers, interns and part-time workers. This position sets the core training principles, standards of teaching and coaching and the preferred conduct that applies to the training in Cormack Hall and the Corps Physical Training Facility.
Duties and responsibilities: • Maintains National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) certification
• Execute all duties and responsibilities within VMI, Southern Conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
• Develop and executes year round strength, conditioning, flexibility, speed, agility and conditioning programs for the Olympic Sports teams.
• Assist, in consultation with the Head Coaches, the development of team leadership and accountability for each Olympic sports team.
• Lead, evaluate and supervise all full time, part time or voluntary staffing assisting with the training of the Olympic sports teams.
• Work in conjunction with the Head Coaches, Sports Medicine personnel and medical staff to ensure systems that are efficient and effective to benefit the cadet athletes.
• Communicate regularly with all Head Coaches of assigned sports and develop strength and conditioning programs consistent with their needs.
• Support education of cadet athletes in nutrition.
• Maintain weight room and all training areas in exceptional order.
• Willingness to work around the VMI calendar and sport specific schedules.
• Assist in the recruitment of prospective cadet athletes.
• Prepare and monitor any budget as needed or assigned.
• Maintain a high level of professionalism in conduct, appearance and discharge of all position requirements.
• Perform other duties as assigned and consistent with position and qualifications.
This is a full time administrative professional position with an excellent benefits package.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications
Candidates, please apply online at: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/219239 Director of Sports Performance for Olympic Sports Job Application
Please include resume, cover letter, and official transcripts with application, and names and contact information for three professional references.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide equal educational and employment opportunities, VMI encourages women, minorities, and veterans to apply. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. VMI will provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with documented disabilities to ensure equal access and equal opportunities with regard to employment, educational opportunities, programs and services.
Minimum Qualifications: • Master’s degree in a related field • Certification by the National Strength and Conditioning Association or Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Association • Minimum of two years related post-undergraduate experience • An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
About Virginia Military Institute
VMI is a public, four-year, undergraduate military college (1,200 students) located in the historic Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Lexington (population 7,000) offers a stimulating cultural atmosphere, a relaxed rural pace, and a diverse economic base to make life both pleasant and rewarding.