At HSBC, the health and well-being of our employees remains of utmost importance. Many of our roles are permitted to work from home (in states in which HSBC is licensed to operate) until further notice. Upon resumption of normal operations, this role may be performed at our New York, New York office.
The Control Office is a function that sits within the markets business within the Global Banking and Markets area of HSBC. The Control Office helps manage and control non-financial and new risks in the business, including but not limited to operational, conduct and product lifecycle risk.
An overarching purpose is to protect HSBC, its People, Clients and Financial Markets by helping safeguarding the delivery of fair outcomes to our customers and avoiding disruption of the orderly and transparent operation of Financial Markets.
The role holder will need to work closely with the Regional control teams, as well as the business management community and their support functions to collectively ensure the effective implementation and design of control standards, governance and procedures with the aim of sharing and promoting best practice.
They will also play a key role in helping support and where necessary leading, the enhancement/improvement of controls and best practice within the asset class.
The role of the Control Officer is to help facilitate the business in the effective design of the control framework and to ensure its ongoing operating effectiveness within an agreed risk appetite.
* Help drive the conduct agenda for the global asset class.
* Assist in the design and to help monitor the operating effectiveness of the control framework, escalating control issues as necessary
* Design and implement new policies and procedures for and on behalf of the global asset class in accordance with the Bank's policy / risk appetite.
* Work closely with support functions to ensure robust controls are in place and act as an additional point of escalation with regards downstream control issues. Influence support functions in their remediation of control gaps.
* Review the output of desk/control reviews, thematic reviews and other remediation/assurance work and monitor actions to ensure effective closure in a timely manner.
Incident Management and reporting:
* Take the lead in drafting, reporting and investigating Operational incidents related to the GDM business and ensuring timely escalation to management.
* Ensure that the agenda / contents of the BCC and other forums as required is 'fit for purpose' so that key control issues and emerging risks are appropriately discussed and addressed. - act as secretary to the meeting, ensure pack is produced, set the agenda and drive the focus on key control issues and emerging risks.
* Act as an additional point of escalation with respect to internal control issues (including red flags) for the asset class.
Internal and External reviews
* Act as one of the principal contacts point for Audit, RCRA and Regulatory reviews for the business
* Monitor the implementation of the Management Action Plans (MAPS) to ensure timely remediation and enhancements and incorporated in the control environment
* Drive the RCA for the business for the asset class and ensure that the risk assessment is reviewed on a periodic basis
* Act as the gate-keeper thereby ensuring ongoing integrity is maintained and that issues and actions are followed up on a timely basis.
* Drive the identification of control enhancements within the current control environment and therefore the control change agenda for the asset class
* Challenge and advise on other business changes which may impact key controls for the business
Management of Risk
Responsible for the continual assessment of operational risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructuring and the impact of new technology.
Demonstrates compliance with HSBC Bank plc Group standards, manuals and policies and adheres to the defined work practices, internal controls and risk management standards associated with the role
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including the timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Understands, follows and demonstrates compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business activities associated with the role, specifically HSBC Bank plc internal controls and compliance policies and manuals.
Internal Number: 843405
HSBC was born from one small idea: a local bank serving international needs. We started our business in Hong Kong in 1865. In 2015, HSBC celebrates its 150th year anniversary. Over the years, HSBC grew through expanding its branch network, offering new products and establishing its own investment banking arm.
We aim to be where the growth is, connecting customers to opportunities, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper, and ultimately helping people fulfill their hopes and realize their ambitions.
• Located in 72 countries and territories
• Serving around 48 million customers
• Supported by over 268,000* people
• Head office in US is New York City
We aim to be dependable, open and connected in everything we do. We want to ensure that our employees feel able to stand up for what is right, highlight potential risks and act with integrity, even when faced with pressure to act otherwise. By doing so, we will be able to meet expectations of society, customers, regulators and investors. To make sure everybody at HSBC lives up to these values, they are a part of everyone's annual performance review.
At HSBC, you will find that we are dependable, o...pen to different ideas and cultures, and connected to customers, communities, regulators and each other. Our culture has a family feel to it – our employees are encouraged to work together to reach a common goal. This idea is supported and encouraged at the leadership level and passed down.
Our size and global reach mean more opportunities for you to grow your career with us.
We are looking for forward-thinking, driven, perceptive candidates to help our customers realise their hopes, dreams and ambitions.
This means people who are dependable, open to different ideas and cultures, and enjoy being part of a team; people who have the potential to become the future leaders of HSBC.
We encourage you to drive your own development and build your network within your office and around the world.
We provide the opportunities for you to connect with customers, colleagues and the communities in which we operate.