The Director of Athletic Marketing & Licensing will assist Butler University Athletics with the day-to-day responsibilities of External Operations with a goal of providing the best possible experience for student-athletes and fans. This includes marketing, promotions, social media and game operations responsibilities, as well as direct work with University licensing efforts. Revenue generation is a key component of the Director's goals. Excellent interpersonal communication skills, technology knowledge and a solution based attitude are a must for the desired candidate.
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Create & execute promotional plans for Butler’s athletic teams, includes coordinating with coaching staffs, graphic design, desktop publishing, advertising, and event work with a major focus on revenue generation through ticket sales, partnerships, licensing and ancillary programs.
2. Manage Athletic Department social media accounts for purpose of promoting our team’s accomplishments, advertising our home events and increasing the level of customer service provided to our fans.
3. Direct game entertainment at home athletic events, including script writing, music, video, coordination of spirit groups, and sponsor fulfillment.
4. Direct the trademark & Licensing program for Butler University, including approving artwork, creating merchandising opportunities and generating revenue via royalties while promoting the Butler brand in the retail marketplace.
5. Fulfill sponsorship contracts at home athletic events and on social media by working with Butler Sports Properties.
6. Supervise external operations intern, coordinate our undergraduate marketing internship program and oversee the Dawg Pound student section, the Cheerleading Team and Butler Dance Team.
7. Coordinate department projects and design work with University Marketing, ie schedule posters, billboards, arena signage, print and digital advertising
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, management, marketing or other related field and two years of experience in collegiate athletics marketing or sports marketing.
Preferred Qualifications: Master’s Degree in business, management, marketing or other related field from an accredited university or college preferred. Experience in athletics marketing and knowledge of NCAA rules preferred. Experience with graphic design is preferred.
Butler University is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for all employees. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of age, gender, gender identity, sex, race, religion, color, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other legally protected category.
Butler University is an innovative collegiate university. In the 2021 “Best Colleges” edition of U.S. News & World Report, it ranked Butler No. 1 overall among Midwest Schools. Ranked No. 1 among the Midwest’s “Most Innovative Schools”. Ranked No. 1 among the Midwest for “Best Undergraduate Teaching”. Butler’s mission is to provide the highest quality of liberal and professional education and to integrate the liberal arts with professional education, by creating and fostering a stimulating intellectual community built upon interactive dialogue and inquiry among students, faculty, and staff. Butler University is a Division 1 university competing in the Big East conference.
In the Fall of 2018, Butler launched BUBeWell, the foundation for a transformative and holistic Butler experience. Through BUBeWell, we foster a positive environment that helps the Butler community grow, learn, and the be the best version of themselves. As part of BUBeWell, the Office of Recreation & Wellness plays a major role in delivery of programs and services.
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana is the hometown of Butler. Nicknamed the Crossroads of America and home to five professional sports teams, th...e Indianapolis Motor Speedway, a vibrant arts and culture scene, and many major businesses and corporations. Indianapolis welcomes all and a place that celebrates diverse cultures and shared histories through festivals, arts, and cultural events. Named by Condé Nast as “the most underrated food city in America,” we also claim the world’s largest single-day sporting event (Indianapolis 500) and North America’s top-rated airport for six years in a row. In addition to the Colts, Pacers, Fever, Indy Eleven, Indians, and Fuel, we are homebase for the NCAA and numerous collegiate and Olympic Sports organizations. From jazz to motorsports to the world’s fastest bicycle wheels, Kurt Vonnegut and John Green to Salesforce and Eli Lilly and Co., our spirited social, cultural, and business entrepreneurs form collaborative partnerships and move big ideas into action. Forbes (2017) named Indianapolis one of the best cities for young professionals. Business Insider (2018) ranked Indianapolis 10th among best cities for new college grads where jobs are abundant and housing is affordable. Campus is only five miles from downtown, so Bulldogs really get the best of both worlds: a close-knit community with easy access to all that Indianapolis has to offer.