Norfolk State University seeks qualified applicants for the position of assistant sports information director. Norfolk State University, located in Norfolk, Va., has a 15-sport NCAA Division I athletics program that competes in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. The assistant sports information director will assist in all aspects of the sports information office, including serving as the primary media contact for at least one revenue sport and two to three others to be determined. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Serve as the primary media relations contact for select sports with responsibilities that include serving as the primary liaison between student-athletes, coaches, and administrators and media contacts; writing press releases and feature stories; developing relationships with media members; and championship preparation and coverage.
Compile in-game statistics and manage game day staff for select sports
Direct social media strategy for assigned sports and assist in implementation of overall departmental social media strategy
Create original content for NSUSpartans.com and various social media platforms; assist with graphics and video creation and idea development
Assist in setup for video/audio broadcasts as needed
Manage archives of press releases, photos, statistics and other collateral for historical and data analytics purposes
Expectation to proactively pitch NSU stories to media outlets
Perform other duties as assigned.
EEO STATEMENT NSU is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons and applicants, without regard to age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, genetic information, race, religion, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy) or veteran status. NSU encourages and invites minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply
Minimum Qualifications: 1. A bachelor’s degree in journalism, mass communications, public relations, or related field
2. Previous experience (at least one year) working in an athletic communications office or related field
3. Must possess strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills
4. Knowledge of and experience with Adobe Creative Suite, including video editing, graphics and desktop publishing software.
1. Knowledge of and experience with Genius Sports and StatCrew software in various sports.
2. Experience with web management, social media strategy and content creation preferred.
1. Willing to work flexible hours, including nights/weekends and/or holidays during peak seasons; travel may be required.
2. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.