The first four community colleges in Kansas were established in 1919, and GCCC is one of two from that group which still exist. It was created by county-wide election on April 1, 1919, and opened in September of the same year.
The present 14-building, 63-acre campus at 801 Campus Drive was designed between July, 1965 and January, 1966.
The Collins Technical Building was added in 1974, and a residential life addition was built in 1978. The Penka Building was added in 1986, when additions were completed to the Joyce, Collins and PE Buildings. Williams Stadium, a baseball facility, was also added. In January of 1996 a 15,000 sq. ft. $1.4 million technical teaching laboratory was completed so that GCCC could provide more training for workers in area and national industries. A three-building student apartment complex opened in 2002, and a 12,900 square-foot, two-level addition to the original student center was completed in 2003, with the entire structure renamed the Beth Tedrow Student Center.
The 19,260 square-foot, three-level, two-story Student and Community Services Center opened in August, 2006 and was dedicated in October of the same year. Attached to the original... Administration Building, the $3.12 million facility consolidated public and student services, provided an on-campus home for adult basic education, added a series of 21st Century classrooms and created a single point of assistance for most services GCCC provides.
GCCC owns more than 70 acres east of Campus Drive, which has been developed in a cooperative effort with the City of Garden City. Named Tangeman Fields in honor of Dr. James Tangeman, a former president, the property includes softball and baseball facilities. Also located there are the college's indoor baseball practice building, a football practice area, running track with public seating and soccer fields.