GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The Augsburg Fellowship Program provides professional experiences in coaching which complements graduate instruction and research. The fellow is responsible for assisting the head coach with the development and success of their assigned sport.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the direction of the Head Coach: •Identify and recruit talented and qualified prospective student-athletes according to program recruiting plan, pursuant to NCAA, MIAC and Augsburg recruiting and admissions standards and regulations. •Perform all practice coaching responsibilities, analyze film and facilitate team meetings. •Instruct student-athletes on physical health, team concepts, safety, and sport-specific skills on both an individual and team basis. •Teach, advise and mentor student-athletes on life-skills. •Monitor and support academic progress of student-athletes/teams to exceed athletic department standards; intervenes with appropriate corrective action as needed. •Maintain acceptable student-athlete retention rates to the team and/or institution. TERMS OF FELLOWSHIP: •The fellow must be accepted by an Augsburg graduate program •The fellow must be enrolled in an Augsburg graduate program for a minimum of two (2) courses per-term (6 credits). •The duration of the fellowship is two years. If a fellow vacates the fellowship prior to the conclusion of the two year term, or is not able to maintain satisfactory academic standing, all tuition costs/benefits will be assumed by the fellow. •The Fellow will receive full tuition benefits. Fellows are fully responsible for payment of all non-tuition costs, including student fees, parking fees, finance charges on unpaid balances, books/supplies, etc. •In addition to full tuition benefits, the fellow will receive a $6,000 annual stipend. ADDITIONAL EXAMPLES OF WORK PERFORMED: •Assist with budget management, fundraising, travel planning and program organization as assigned. •Assist with Alumni/parent communication and involvement, including organizing events as appropriate. •Assist with organizing and participating in team community-service event(s). •Assist with camps and clinics. •Supervise student workers, if applicable. •All other duties as apparent or assigned by supervisor(s).
· Bachelor’s degree required.
· Valid driver’s license required
· At least three (3) years of playing/coaching experience required, recruiting experience preferred.
· Knowledge and adherence to the MIAC Code of Ethics.
· Follow MIAC and NCAA Division III guidelines and regulation, while exhibiting behavior that represents a positive image of the athletic program and the university.
· Integrity and leadership skills.
· Strong organizational and communication skills.
· Ability to build and strengthen cross-campus relationships.
· Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
· Ability to be attentive to details, be accurate, be precise.
· Ability to lead/teach and mentor others.
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment; and work independently with little supervision.
· Ability to reason/analyze; maintain confidentiality; and demonstrate patience, understanding.
· Ability to show initiative; organize workflow; manage one or more projects; and handle frequent interruptions.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
· Sport Specific – playing surface, indoor/outdoor, weather, season,
Augsburg University is committed to helping its members – students and employees alike – explore their vocation. As a University with a calling, we welcome the unique gifts that each of our employees brings to our collective work, and we are committed to supporting our employees as they seek to match those gifts with the needs of the University and our larger community. It is through this ongoing discernment of vocation – of helping our community members seek meaning in their lives and work – that we believe we will be best equipped to serve our neighbor and to educate our students at the intersection of faith, learning, and service.
The University recognizes that in order to serve our students and live out our mission we need to be committed to ensuring that the work environment allows employees to have clear expectations of their job responsibilities and career opportunities matched with the needs of the University, as well as competitive compensation. We strive to have a collective commitment to the success of our colleagues. We are dedicated to creating an atmosphere of work that epitomizes co-creation and effective partnerships as a hallmark of our work together.