Assistant Athletic Director/Director of Athletic Communications
University of Sioux Falls
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Required Education: 4 Year Degree
The University of Sioux Falls invites applications for an Assistant Athletic Director/Director of Athletic Communications. USF is a member of the NCAA Division II and the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
The Assistant Athletic Director/Director of Athletic Communications is a full-time, 12-month, benefits-eligible position with a competitive salary based on education, experience, and a strong benefits package. The position reports directly to the Director of Athletics, with the final title of the position commensurate with the education and experience of the successful candidate.
The Director of Athletic Communications will perform functions within the appropriate deadlines to ensure effective, accurate, and efficient operation, communication, and management of the collection of and dissemination of university sports communication from the university’s sports and institution regarding USF athletic news and communication.
Develop and maintain cordial, positive, and informative relationships with community representatives, media persons, conference institutions, campus departments, and offices to promote the USF athletic program, department, and student-athletes.
Assume a leadership role in assisting the Athletic Department with enhancing the athletic image and brand, administrative staff and student-personnel management, and athletic strategic planning.
• Coordinate, participate, and manage the accurate and proper recordkeeping and statistics for all sports, recorded and maintained in an orderly manner for historical and daily information requests and distribution at all home and away athletic events as necessary, reporting to NSIC and NCAA as necessary. This includes game stories, statistics, images, rosters, coaches’ biographies, game schedules, and posting content to the USF athletics website.
• Promoting the University athletic programs, using multiple communication platforms, including, but not limited to, writing and distributing news releases, player profiles, and stories; developing sports media relationships; handling media requests; coordinating press box and game-day operations.
• Collaborate with USF departments to develop positive relationships and produce publications, events, and opportunities, including but not limited to the University’s Marketing office and Institutional Advancement on athletic-related stories and events. • Oversee production of game-day programs/roster sheets for home events.
• Coordination of live stats and the development of Athletics promotion videos.
• Lead institutional best practices on social media strategies and platforms to promote USF Athletics programs and increase fan engagement, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, TikTok, and others deemed necessary.
• Plan and publicize special athletics promotions and events.
• Coordinate with the USF Hall of Fame Committee: voting ballot materials, communication with honorees, and work on the Hall of Fame program/script for the event in the Fall each year.
• Assist with game management and other duties as assigned.
• Work collaboratively with University Marketing staff regarding photography coverage, branding resources, marketing initiatives, and production of publications
• Maximizes opportunities to use Athletic Communications as a vital recruitment tool
• Attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced work environment
• Cultivate and develop inclusive and equitable relationships with students, faculty, staff, alumni, parents, and friends of the University
• Collaborate with Sports Marketing and Media Studies academic major program to create student intern opportunities
The functions listed are essential to the successful performance of this position; however, this job announcement is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, or efforts associated with this position.
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree is preferred
• Three years of experience in the sports information/athletics communications field directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
• Demonstrated exemplary writing skills, Proficient working knowledge of several computer programs, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (In-Design, Photoshop), NCAA Genius Stats, StatCrew, Sidearm website technology
• Strong problem solving and time management skills while showing an exemplary work ethic
• Demonstrated success working with and contributing to a strong team effort and departmental success while working independently
• Exemplary writing, organization, and people skills
• Preferred experience working with video editing software (i.e., IMovie, Adobe Premiere)
• Ability to work nights and weekends; valid Driver’s License
• Travel is necessary; the ability to successfully pass a background check; able to lift up to 40 lbs.
Applicants should provide a letter of application, resume, and contact information for a minimum of three professional references. Applicants will be considered only if all previously mentioned items are submitted to USF. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS
The University of Sioux Falls is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes.
University of Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls, South Dakota was founded in 1883. The University of Sioux Falls is the 2nd largest private University in South Dakota. USF offers 41 undergraduate and graduate academic programs. The University is located in the heart of South Dakota’s largest city which boasts a metropolitan area population of approximately 235,000 residents.The University of Sioux Falls, founded in 1883, is a Christian, liberal arts university of over 1,600 students (including non-traditional and graduate programs) affiliated with the American Baptist Churches, USA, and the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities. The University of Sioux Falls is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association. The University offers a demanding liberal arts education in 29 fields of study, as well as graduate degrees in education and business administration. Located at the intersection of I29 and I90, Sioux Falls is a hub for regional transportation, culture, entertainment, commerce, medicine, and shopping. An attractive and progressive community, it is also one of the fastest growing financial centers in the nation. There are excellent public and pr...ivate schools, a symphony orchestra, a community playhouse, and other programs in the arts. There are three major hospitals, over thirty parks with soccer, softball, and baseball fields, swimming pools, and a bike trail that surrounds the city. Sioux Falls enjoys a low crime rate, low unemployment, no state or local income tax, and many nearby opportunities for camping, boating, fishing, hunting, and other year-round recreational activities.University of Sioux Falls Cougar Athletics has been blessed with a strong and supportive community. The City of Sioux Falls is one of a kind; with safe neighborhoods, a strong economy and population growth. Students at USF have a great experience outside of the classroom while studying in Sioux Falls. Many local businesses and organizations provide internships for our students which lead to jobs post-graduation.USF student-athletes continue to be successful on the field, court, and pitch in 16 different sports with approximately 32 percent of full-time, day-time students participating in sports. In the last 7 years, our athletic programs have produced 102 All-American Scholar Athletes and 45 All-Americans. Over the last five years, the USF community has supported construction and remodeling of athletic facilities that now boasts the USF Sanford Health Sports Complex which is home to The Bob Young Field, Lillibridge Track and Stadium, and the only FIFA sanctioned artificial turf, the first of its kind to be installed in the United States for the USF Soccer Complex. USF track and field features one of the 20 largest facilities in the country and Cougar football is one of the few programs of its size to utilize a video board for live footage, instant replays and game enhancing features. The Stewart Center has been upgraded with new scoreboards and bleacher and chair back seating with additional renovation to the lockerrooms and gymnasium taking place in the summer of 2012. The University of Sioux Falls is a member of the NCAA Division II and a member of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. It is the support of the NCAA which will allow Sioux Falls student-athletes the benefit from the following features of Division II:•Graduation Rate: Division II student-athletes graduation rate is consistently 10-15 percentage points higher than the total student body. •Class Time: Division II's regionalization philosophy rewards the scheduling of local or regional opponents in the regular season, resulting in limited missed class time for student-athletes. •Additional Assistance: The Degree-Completion Scholarship Program provides deserving Division II student-athletes who have exhausted their collegiate eligibility with financial assistance. •National Championship Opportunities: Division II features unparalleled opportunity for student-athletes to advance to national championship competition as a result of the division's generous championship access ratios. •Community Partnerships: Division II has initiated national community partnerships with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Habitat for Humanity.