Project Architect - Market Rate and Affordable Housing - Los Angeles
Location: Los Angeles
Type: Full Time
The award-winning team at GGLO, a collaborative design firm, seeks a Project Architect for our Los Angeles office to support our growth in multiple locations, disciplines, markets, and project types.
GGLO is a design practice for architecture, urban design, landscape architecture, and interior design. With offices in Los Angeles, Seattle, and Boise, we work as a single, collaborative studio focused on connecting people through beauty and innovation. We create projects which are visionary, contextually appropriate, and culturally resonant.
About the Role
The Project Architect (PA) is a key technical member in the success and delivery of our project work. GGLO Architects have the technical responsibility for executing the design concept of a project through construction documents. For this, the PA must understand and keep an eye on the big picture, while simultaneously being entrenched in the details. The success of a project, starting from concept through construction relies on the clarity, completeness, accuracy, and overall quality of our project documents. The PA must coordinate the many aspects of a project in order to achieve the desired result- great design delivered through great document sets.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Possess knowledge of the phases of the design process and construction
· Possess knowledge of materials and detailing
· Demonstrate understanding of the larger context and impact of design
· Understand code and regulations governing the industry and ability to perform research
· Develop, review and coordinate Project Specifications specific to discipline
· Effectively advance and explore design opportunities offered by each project
· Assist PM in communication to the client, contractor, and other internal and external stakeholders
· Review consultant drawings for technical accuracy
· Act as coach and mentor for other architects and production staff
· Communicate effectively with Technical Lead, Project Manager, Project Designer, and other internal stake holders
· Demonstrate thorough understanding of BIM Execution Plan
· Competently manage time and priorities and communicate them to the project team
· Effectively perform work requiring independent judgment and problem solving
· Demonstrate the utilization of clear and open process for solving problems
· Develop a complete understanding of GGLO quality management process and procedures
· Understand the implications and timing of overall project schedule with ability to guide the production team according to that schedule
Professional Knowledge & Experience
· Experience in one of GGLO’s core markets: Wood frame, multifamily, mixed-use, Type I and Type II construction
· Able to organize and oversee the work of others
· Able to coordinate and manage a consultant team
· Experience with funding structures specific to affordable housing
· Understand major building systems, detailing, and constructability
· Responsible for understanding the applicable codes specific to discipline; Building Code, Land use, Zoning, Accessibility, Energy, etc.
· A high level of proficiency in the software being used, including Revit, Vision, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, and SketchUp
· Understanding of how to solve unusual or complex issues
· Knowledge and understanding of Sustainable programs and goals
· Ability to hand draft and draw freehand
· Licensed Architect in California
· 10+ years’ experience in a professional design office setting with a focus in multifamily projects
· Market Rate and/or Affordable Housing experience in Los Angeles
· Deep knowledge of the City of Los Angeles processes
· Demonstrated proficiency with Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and other design delivery tools
· Understanding of all aspects and phases of the architectural production process, major building systems, detailing, and constructability
· Ability to understand best practices associated with technical implications of design decisions
· Experience in the production of quality construction documents and directing other production staff and consultant teams in the preparation of those documents
· Current authorization to work in the United States
We offer an exciting team-oriented design environment where employees are challenged to bring their best creative spirit to their work. Our workplace is respectful and diverse, with teams that thrive on engagement, learning and innovation. We take great pride in working together to deliver the highest-quality design solutions for our clients. Additionally, we offer paid licensure and industry memberships, professional development, mentorship programs, and a collaborative, stable environment.
We offer competitive salaries and a generous benefit package including fully paid Medical, Dental, Vision, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Life Insurance, 401K with employer match program, time off, transit subsidy, bicycle parking, pet friendly atmosphere, annual Profit-Sharing contributions, as well as an annual discretionary bonus opportunity for all employees.
Please visit our careers page at www.GGLO.com to apply or click the Apply button if visible. We look forward to hearing from you!
GGLO, LLC is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and maintaining an inclusive culture.
GGLO designs distinct places where communities of people connect and thrive. We seek to bring the essence of community alive in each of our projects – believing that the fundamental desire to interact and feel a part of something can be evoked through design. This perspective runs deep through our integrated practice, including research, planning, urban design, architecture, interior design, and landscape architecture. Integrating our skills and services allows a deep exploration for how design can have the most positive impact in any context.
Our role as designers is to embrace the myriad of considerations and interactions that make up our projects and to craft solutions that are responsible, meaningful, and enduring. Our regional and national reputation for award-winning design is recognized by industry peers for functional space planning, beauty in building form, and innovative sustainable design.
Building Design + Construction recognized GGLO as #10 in their Top 155 Apartment Architecture Firms and #15 in the Top 175 Multi-family Sector Architecture Firms. Zweig Group's 2022 Best Firm to Work For listed GGLO as #7 in North America for Architecture. Engineering News Recor...d's 2022 Top Design Firms ranked GGLO #5 in Architecture and #80 in Their Top Green Design Firms.
Founded in Seattle in 1986 | Offices in Seattle, WA, Los Angeles, CA, and Boise, ID