Graduate Assistant-Student-Athlete Leadership and Development
Central Michigan University
Location: Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Full tuition waiver (excluding fees) and a $11,100 stipend.
4 Year Degree
Central Michigan University, an FBS Member of the Mid-American Conference, is accepting applications for a Student-Athlete Leadership and Development Graduate Assistant for the 2023-2024 school year. Candidates must be accepted into the Graduate School at Central Michigan University. This is a non-benefited position with a full tuition waiver (excluding fees) and a $11,100 stipend. Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and list of 3 references to Travis Downing at email@example.com.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide assistance and oversight into the operations, planning, and execution of comprehensive student-athlete development programs for Central Michigan student-athletes
- Aid in the departmental Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts in order to enhance the inclusive culture for our student-athletes, coaches and staff
- Manage and track community outreach initiatives to enhance the presence of student-athletes within the Mt. Pleasant community
- Assist in administering and collecting evaluations and surveys distributed to all student-athletes
- Coordinate and/or assist in maintaining and updating the social media accounts
- Assist with other projects and duties as assigned by members of the CMU Department of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Applicant should be entering their first year of a master’s degree program.
- Applicant shall have a cumulative grade-point-average of 3.0 or higher during the last 60 credit hours of his/her undergraduate degree.
- Applicant shall be able to demonstrate outside achievements and community involvement.
- Applicant shall be able to demonstrate/communicate his/her unique background and commitment to diversity, while providing evidence of qualities that will enhance the AD GA program.
- Applicant shall show the ability to complete a thorough interview process in a professional and precise manner.
- Applicant must be eligible (and provide acceptable documentation) to work in the United States.
Applicants should note:
- Selected candidate must be admitted for graduate study at Central Michigan University prior to beginning employment. A grade point average of 3.0 or better in a master’s program is required to maintain the Graduate Assistantship.
- Applicants must register and maintain a minimum of six credit hours applicable towards a master’s degree at Central Michigan University during each semester of the Graduate Assistantship.
Central Michigan University has a more than 125-year legacy of preparing students to become leaders and changemakers in their communities and in their personal and professional lives.
We serve nearly 19,500 students on our Mount Pleasant campus, in satellite locations around the state and throughout the country, and through flexible online programs. Many of our approximately 300 undergraduate, master’s, specialist and doctoral programs in the arts, media, business, education, human services, health professions, liberal arts, social sciences, medicine, science and engineering are nationally ranked for excellence.
CMU leads the nation in leadership development programming through our Sarah R. Opperman Leadership Institute, and we are proud to be among only 5% of U.S. universities in the top two Carnegie research classifications. Our faculty work with graduate and undergraduate students in areas such as Great Lakes research, medical innovation, engineering technology and more.
Central is home to 17 men’s and women’s Division 1 sports including football, basketball, gymnastics, baseball, wrestling and more. Our student-athletes achieve great success in competition and in the c...lassroom, capturing Mid-American Conference championships and maintaining an average cumulative GPA of 3.17.
CMU is located in Mount Pleasant, a community that blends the best of small-town living with big-city amenities. It’s part of the culturally varied and vibrant Great Lakes Bay Region that also includes Saginaw, Bay City, Midland and the state’s largest Native American community, centered on the Saginaw Chippewa Isabella Reservation in Mount Pleasant.
Area residents enjoy the mix of outdoor activities, cultural events, shopping and dining options, and family attractions. Other major Michigan destinations and attractions — Lansing, Grand Rapids, Detroit, Traverse City, wineries, beaches, golf and ski resorts, and many more — are within easy reach of the city’s central location in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.
CMU employees enjoy access to a nationally recognized wellness program along with health care and benefits that exceed regional, state and national norms.
CMU, an AA/EO institution, strongly and actively strives to increase diversity and provide equal opportunity within its community. CMU does not discriminate against persons based on age, color, disability, ethnicity, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, height, marital status, national origin, political persuasion, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religion, sex, sex based stereotypes, sexual orientation, transgender status, veteran status, or weight (see http://www.cmich.edu/ocrie).