The Senior Academic Advisor (Athletics) assists the Associate Athletics Director with coordinating programs to ensure compliance with all Lamar University, Southland Conference and NCAA rules and regulations governing the intercollegiate athletics operation, with a primary focus on academics for football student-athletes.
1. Advises and assists student-athletes in selecting major course of study, selecting courses, changing majors, adding and dropping class, and developing effective study habits.
2. Monitors students' degree plans. Evaluates transcripts and maintains academic records; monitors class attendance and student progress.
3. Monitors academic eligibility compliance with NCAA, Southland Conference, and Lamar University policies.
4. Maintains records on student-athletes.
5. Assists the Associate Athletics Director with updating academic information in NCAA Compliance Assistant Software.
6. Assists the Associate Athletics Director with the review of transcripts and eligibility requirements for prospective student-athletes.
7. Compiles necessary documentation for academic eligibility each semester.
8. Recognizes and promotes the best interest of the student-athletes both academically and athletically.
9. Assists the Associate Athletics Director and Coaches in the process of recruiting prospective student-athletes.
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.