Associate Director of Career Advising: Marketing, Media & Communication, and Management
Location: Bronx, New York
Internal Number: 3435
Founded in 1841, Fordham is the Jesuit University of New York, offering an exceptional education distinguished by the Jesuit tradition to more than 16,000 students in its nine colleges and schools. It has residential campuses in the Bronx and Manhattan, a campus in West Harrison, N.Y., the Louis Calder Center Biological Field Station in Armonk, N.Y., and the London Centre in the United Kingdom.
The University offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; retirement plans; life insurance; short and long-term disability; employee assistance program (EAP); tuition remission; and generous time off.
Successful candidates should have a knowledge of and commitment to the goals of Jesuit Education.
Department: Gabelli Graduate Professional & Personal Development
Campus: Lincoln Center (LC) - NYC
Based at the Lincoln Center campus and focusing on the marketing, communications and media, and management fields, this Assistant Director of Career Advising provides small- and large-group programming and individual advising that helps graduate students and recent alumni to advance their careers through high-quality job and internship placement. He or she serves as an industry lead to promote the exchange of career information and connections among students, alumni, faculty, and employers. Despite his or her specialty in marketing, communications and media, and management, he or she also acts competently as a generalist.
· Translates the Director of the Career Development Center's comprehensive CDC strategy into tangible student services—workshops, seminars, activities and personalized advising—that foster student success. Key topics include resume and cover letter review, career discernment, industry and functionally specific job search strategies, interview prep, networking, and negotiation.
· Maintains industry currency on recruiting and hiring practices, employer needs, desired academic qualifications, external certification requirements, current events, and other trends affecting the accounting and taxation fields.
· Actively participates in all avenues to positively affect recruiting outcomes. This may include: new corporate outreach, employer relations, playing an active role in the job-posting approval process; communicating information about career opportunities to students, faculty, and relevant student clubs; and participating in recruiting strategy sessions, annual employer debriefs, and corporate outreach discussions.
· Conducts outreach to professionals, alumni and otherwise, who can foster industry engagement, offer the CDC team new clarity on the recruiting landscape, assist students in their job searches, act as (or provides connections to) guest speakers or Supper Club participants, or otherwise enhance the student and faculty experience at the Gabelli School.
· Collects quantitative and qualitative feedback from employers and students and relays the resulting information throughout CDC to improve practices and effectiveness.
· Serves as a member of one or more cross-functional teams that link admissions, academic advising, CDC, and alumni relations to serve students through a high-quality end-to-end process.
· Develops close relationships with the faculty, especially those connected with relevant research centers, and ensures that faculty knowledge and industry connections are fully leveraged in service of job-seeking students.
· Enhances the overall student experience by being visible and accessible, getting to know students by name, and responding in a timely and personalized manner to all concerns.
· As requested by the Director of Career Advising, acts as a link between CDC and University-wide Career Services.
· As requested by the Director of Executive Education Programs, consults on the development and execution of advanced training for Fordham alumni and New York City professionals.
· Participates in the updating of any and all internship and job databases used by the office.
· Maintains accurate records in CRM and other systems on individual student meetings and group workshop attendance.
· Bachelor's degree
· Significant work history in the marketing, communications and media, and management fields, either as a practitioner or in a corporate HR or recruiting role. · Career advising experience is a plus, but not a requirement.
· Dedication to student development and student experience; understanding of how to translate needs and requirements of working business world into accessible, beneficial programming for graduate students. · Collaborative approach and strong team orientation.
· Strong interpersonal skills, in particular the ability to make students feel supported and valued. · Highly developed communication skills, including writing and public presentation.
· Highest standards of personal and professional integrity.
Fordham Founded in 1841, Fordham is the Jesuit University of New York, offering an exceptional education distinguished by the Jesuit tradition to more than 16,000 students in its 9 colleges and schools. It has residential campuses in the Bronx and Manhattan, a campus in West Harrison, N.Y., the Louis Calder Center Biological Field Station in Armonk, N.Y., and the London Centre in the United kingdom.